Chicken Pot Pie - Family Size
Savory family dish...
- 5 Chicken Breasts
- 5 Leeks thoroughly washed, cleaned and cut into ⅛th of an inch rounds
- 5 Carrots peeled and cut the same as the Leeks into rounds
- 3 sprigs of Thyme, optional
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 pack of Bacon
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted Butter
- Plus 2 tablespoons of Butter for sautéing Veggies
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons of all purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Bouillon
- The reserved Chicken Poaching Liquor!!!
- 1 pack of frozen or fresh Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg lightly beaten
- Salt and Pepper
- First, fill a large saucepan with cold Water and bring to a boil!!
- Add the Chicken (with some thyme if desired) and Salt and Pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the Chicken... check that it's cooked through and reserve the Poaching Water!!
- When slightly cooler, cut the Chicken into bite size chunks!!
- Fry the Bacon... get rid of the Fat... or save for later, as I often do!!
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of Butter and Olive Oil in a frying pan and sweat off (don't brown) the Carrots and Leeks until tender!! You can stop them from browning by sprinkling a little Salt on them as they start to cook!! This releases Water in the Veggies and prevents caramelization!!
- The Sauce:
- Just melt the 4 tablespoons of Butter then add the Flour and stir to cook off the raw flour taste... then start gradually adding the Chicken-y Water... whisking ALL THE TIME!!!
- Enhance the flavor with a tablespoon of Chicken Bouillon... keep WHISKING
- and adding liquid until you have a smooth, glossy Sauce... that coats the back of a spoon!! You'll probably use about 5 to 6 cups of the poaching liquid. Simmer very gently for about 7 to 10 minutes stirring with the whisk to stop it from catching on the bottom!!
- Assemble pie not forgetting to add the Bacon.
- Roll out the Pastry.
- Egg wash the top.
- Bake middle oven for about 50 minutes on 350F.