Pasta Carbonara with Zucchini Recipe
Delicious, healthy and easy recipe from Jamie Oliver. Follow along on the step by step post too!
Recipe type: Jamie Oliver
- 6 medium zucchini (courgettes)
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 4 large egg yokes
- 3½fl oz W heavy whipping cream
- 1 small handful Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- 6 slices good quality bacon cut into chunky lardons
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme leaves picked
- A good pinch of black pepper
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil
- Halve then quarter the zucchini ( courgettes)
- Italians often slice their veggies in this kind of pasta dish to mirror the shape of the pasta! WHO KNEW??
- When the pasta water is boiling add a good amount of salt to the water and add the penne cook according to packet instructions!
- To make the sauce
- Put the egg yokes in a bowl add the cream and half the Parmesan... Mix well with a fork season lightly.
- Heat a large frying pan about 14"
- Fry the bacon in a good glug of olive oil until crispy add the zucchini ...lots of black pepper
- And the thyme leaves stir everything to coat the the zucchini in the bacon flavored oil... fry until starting to brown and have softened slightly!
- The next bit is a bit tricky... You don't want to COOK the egg yokes you want to warm them through... you do that with some reserved pasta water And the residual heat of the just cooked ingredients!
- Drain the pasta ( keep about 2 cups cup back )
- Immediately toss the pasta in the pan with the zucchini you want the pasta to some up some of the wonderful juices in the pan... take the pan OFF THE HEAT and add a cup of the reserved hot water and the egg yoke and Parmesan sauce.
- Stir together quickly
- Get a feel for the consistency if it's too thick add a little more of the water!
- Sprinkle over some more Parmesan check seasoning!
- Serve immediately this dish doesn't wait around!
Follow along as I prepare this dish…Pasta Carbonara con Zucchini…
Here’s the book from whence this recipe comes…
Click on the image to read the review on Amazon…